The first accurate record we have of a Balgownie Cricket Club comes from the following report in the Illawarra Mercury on December 25th 1894:
"A match was played at Bode's ground last Saturday between the Clifton CC and the newly formed Balgownie Club. The latter won by 5 runs. It is only fair to state that the visitors brought only half a team with them, and had to play with juvenile pick-ups."
Bode's ground was situated near where The North Wollongong PCYC now stands. This ground was used by a number of clubs and at one stage had a hessian fence around it. This might well have been our first game and if so our first ever victory.
From that time to the early 1950's Balgownie cricket was mentioned periodically in The Mercury. It's interesting to note that at one time we were affiliated with our 'senior' club Corrimal who could take players from Balgownie to play for them if they wished. Full status to the Illawarra first grade competition is believed to have been granted in the 1951-52 season. Since that time we have continually fielded teams in the ICA competition.